The Zermatt Summit foundation supports the ten principles of the UN Global Compact with respect to human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. With this commitment, we express our intent to advance these principles within our sphere of influence, and will make a clear statement of this commitment to our stakeholders and general public.
We also pledge to take part in the activities of the UN Global Compact where appropriate and feasible, through for instance participation in Country/Local Networks; involvement in specialized initiatives and work streams; engagement in partnerships projects; and reviewing and providing commentary to participating companies on their Communications on Progress.
The Ten Principles
The UN Global Compact’s ten principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption enjoy universal consensus and are derived from:
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- The International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work
- The Rio Declaration on Environment and Development
- The United Nations Convention Against Corruption
The UN Global Compact asks companies to embrace, support and enact, within their sphere of influence, a set of core values in the areas of human rights, labour standards, the environment and anti-corruption:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.